Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sights and Sounds: Binondo in Technicolor


       I know that Binondo, being a Chinatown, is one of the oldest city in Manila but it was just recent that I found out that it is in fact the oldest Chinatown in the world. I have been to this place countless of times especially during the celebration of Chinese New Year when every street and corner is adorned by traditional Chinese decorations. And if you’ve experienced it or have seen it on TV, in photos, magazines and what-nots then you know how this place becomes livelier and festive. But on a normal day, Binondo is just like any busy spot in old Manila. Except that most establishments here have included Chinese calligraphy on the signage and most people you walk by are not your normal Malay-looking Pinoys in most parts of the country but rather are people with light to almost porcelain complexion and with small slanted eyes we refer to as Tsinoys: Filipinos with Chinese descent.
I have always wanted to document the scenes and spots I find beautiful in Binondo. And like I always do, I want to do it in my own artistic vista (if there is any). And so I did. So here is a rundown of what I love most about Binondo.


 
The Bell Tower (And how the wires ruin the view)
      
        


       The classical Binondo Church is one of the main attractions.  Correct me if I’m wrong but I find the bell tower design reminiscent of a pagoda just like that of the Tiger Hill pagoda in China. How the church is unkempt makes it all the more vintage and beautiful.


A view of the church from the park

    










Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz, the park in front of the church serves   many functions to the public.From giving a good view of the church to being a playground to street kids, sleeping areas for street beggars and to poor mothers bathing their kids in the fountain. It is quite sad of what it has become. 







One of the pagoda-like arches you’ll find in Binondo. Erected as a symbol of Filipino-Chinese friendship during the old days. 




            How many purple fire trucks are there in the world? One that has a glow-in-the dark flame design? Indeed, only in Binondo


Purple Firetruck
The flames glow up at night (or dark )




        




 
         






A silhouette of Roman Ongpin’s statue. Of whom the street was named after. 



      Jones Bridge. When I told my friend (who resides in the area) that I walked to and fro across the bridge to get a good view of the Manila Post office, I was quite stunned with her reply: “Good thing, you’re still in one piece”. I didn’t know it was dangerous. Or maybe because it was just because of all that Jeepneys and the killer traffic.


       
      Manila Post office. That renaissance inspired building that backdrop the river Pasig from Jonesbridge. One of the very few reminders that the old Manila was designed as a transplanted Europe in Asia before World War II unfortunately destroyed it. 

Manila Post Office

Sundown in river Pasig.View from Jones bridge.Reminds me of how the sun sets in the river Nile.



 


          What used to be a ferry station in Escolta. Old, non-functional and I believe abandoned. There used to be ferries that cater to local and foreign tourists alike, that cruise the river. I want it back one day. Hopefully if and when river pasig is cleaned and rehabilitated. 


     Never go home without “Eng Bee Teen”. For me the best hopia in the land. It comes in many flavors and variants. There’s the mochipia – a hopia with tikoy filling and then there’s the two- flavored hopia-combi to name a few (ube/keso is my favorite). And then there’s Masuki(formerly “Mamun Luk”). One of the oldest mami or noodle house in Binondo and in the country. The secrets to their recipes are handed down from old generations to present. Your Binondo experience won’t be complete without dining here after a day’s walk along the streets.



Binondo is one of the hundreds of beautiful places one may explore in Manila, Philippines. Yes there may be heavy traffic, dirty spots, street beggars and etc but hey, any big cities and world renowned famous spots have them, too. But amidst all these imperfections, Binondo is beautiful.You just have to look it up for yourself, within yourself.



(All images are amateurly taken and playfully edited by me, thus copyrighted)







No comments:

Post a Comment