Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Jason Mraz Experience


The Poster
My Ticket


Finally. Someone REALLY worth watching. 

Though I learned a little too late that Mr. A-Z was coming, I told myself I should not miss it. Not this time, when someone who really makes REAL music is staging only a one-night show. And so I grabbed the chance.
 I only had a few days to save and I apparently was paying up for something so I wasn’t able to afford the front seat at 3,500 pesos which was considerably more affordable than other past acts. I was left with no option but to settle for general admission but I didn’t care. As long as I hear him sing live.

And so I did. And it was a beautiful experience. 

The crowd’s cheer got louder as the lights shone brighter signaling that the show was about to start. And then at one fleeting moment, there he was, the man of the night: Mr. Wordplay, Jason Mraz. Sporting what seemed to be a Jesus inspired look: scruffy beard, relatively long hair under a yellow bandana and wearing a shirt that says “peace”, was then joined on stage by Taco Rivera, who was as equally skillful with his percussion as to Jason with his guitar. As the very first pluck of strings resonated, the crowd roared and the dome thundered. On that ample-sized stage there were just the two of them, their instruments and their music. No blinding laser lights, tacky costumes and rowdy back-up dancers, just two men and their endearing yet commanding performance. I closed my eyes at almost each of the songs decrescendos as if I’m hearing him whisper right at my ear. And the crowd, like a baby being rocked softly in a cradle, swayed in unison. At one moment, memories of college came in fragments: How I TRIED mastering the guitar and memorizing the fast-paced, tongue-twisting song “The Remedy”. And I thought it was silly. What I felt and experienced at that night was surreal, never mind how far I was from the stage. I was present for only one thing: his artistry.
I would say that his is a simple and humble passion that separates him from his contemporaries. That his music may just be music for the common folk but it is at the very least, prose and at best, poetry for true-blue fans like me. And yes, at that night, I was not alone. I was with fellow fans. There were numerous individuals who stood up and danced by themselves because they came only by themselves and they didn’t care. And then the rest of the crowd were of lovers; holding hands and leaning on each others shoulders, being serenaded on with perhaps one of their love songs. Then there were families; of dads and moms sharing good and quality music to their kids. And then there were friends; singing gleefully in chorus atop their lungs, never minding if it was in tune or not. And then I remembered my friends and how I wish they could’ve experienced it with me how ecstatic the night was.
The concert was capped-off by the multitude of crowd singing along the song “I’m Yours”. Towards the end, almost everybody had already stood up, gathered closer to the stage cheering and applauding, some asking for more and some thanking Jason Mraz profusely for the night. Oh that beautiful night, when everybody was loved. 

Yes, I was this far . . .
The best my BB phone could


Side note:

We brought our DSLR camera but it wasn’t allowed inside (hello???) and my cam phone’s zoom feature was no good, so unfortunately no good pictures for me. Many people brought their DSLR’s and were complaining, too.

Smart Araneta Coliseum (with its interior and acoustics) is a LETDOWN. Is this really the best that we have? (Paging Manny Pangilinan for renovation)

I love my sis for paying for our tickets. I owe her this experience.

2 comments:

  1. You've had your "moment" with your fave musician na. When my moment comes, I'm gonna cry.

    ReplyDelete