Thursday, February 23, 2012

Impeachment What?



No matter how much media bombard everybody’s daily routine about the on-going impeachment, I just can’t see and feel everybody’s growing concern about it. And I am speaking from an average Juan’s standpoint. 
It has been a couple of weeks now since the commencement of the Corona case. It is the headline on most papers and the top stories on most news programs. Even the world of social network provide ample share of feeds. But I stopped monitoring it for a couple of reasons. Entirely, it is exhausting as it is painstakingly dragging. The way I see it, media is trying to shove down to everyone’s throat the national importance of the issue at hand. Yet the average Juan denies swallowing it and spits it back out, even.  Sure, there are opinions being aired out but that is a standard pattern of behavior for any citizen of any society. I am not saying that we should wreak havoc on the streets and spur violence for the sake of reacting to and against it. That is not the kind of involvement I want. Neither am I saying that we should stop living our lives and obsess ourselves with the case. Definitely, that is not my point.
What I am saying is that the masses just don’t care. Go out on the streets and ask any random person about what they think and feel regarding the issue and they’ll possibly answer you with a line or two starting with “ah, uhmm and well”. In worst case, might just give you a blank, almost spaced-out stare. Why? Because they know they have nothing to gain from it, regardless of the verdict.
Unless you sashay a maroon gown in the senate impeachment court, unless you are among the prosecution and defense teams, unless you are a news-hungry journalist AND unless you are a politician with vested political interest then you wouldn’t get what I’m ranting about. You busy your lives with the case while we busy our lives forever questioning when this country will ever see the light of day.
For me, this impeachment is nothing short of hypocrisy: thieves accusing other thieves, plunderers prosecuting their very own kind. Am I being judgmental? I don’t think I am. I just say what I think is true. And I’m confident that there are hundreds of thousands more that will agree with me than otherwise. Pity how my generation grew up living with this kind of callous and inept governance again and again. But we too, are calloused.  And I don’t need to elaborate why and how. So I don’t blame the average Juan if they don’t really care, because we just really can’t. 

1 comment:

  1. Tiring and tired topic. We know they're all there for the money. But you know, people can't possibly not care completely. If that were true, Villar would have won the last presidential elections, hehe. I don't know, just learning to grab and appreciate even the smallest flake of goodness I guess. Or it'd be a dark life ahead.

    ReplyDelete