Tuesday, April 17, 2012

On Ms Philippines 2012 and how Pinoys See Pageantry

The 2012 Winners, L to R: Ali, Nicole, Janine, Katrina, Elaine





In the end, we are all BUT spectators.

I have only been a recent fan of Philippine pageantry. Consequently, I also get excited and nervous come Miss Universe when that fateful filipina sashays the elegance and beauty of the Philippines to the rest of the world. We Pinoys look at pageantry as an opportunity to re-introduce ourselves as a nation.  If and when we emerge victorious, the pride we feel is tantamount as to when Manny Pacquiao knocks-out a boxing opponent. Most foreigners get annoyed with this “proud to be Pinoy” moments of ours but they can never understand it in full unless they learn our history and be Filipinos themselves.  Our experiences as a nation compels us to be dutiful in re-establishing our lost pride. Yes, at face value pageantry may just be entertainment but for us it is another avenue to present and stimulate a fresh perception of ourselves.

Everybody's favorite: Mary Jean /MJ


In light of the recent BB Pilipinas 2012 finals, majority of the fans got disappointed with the results. Mary Jean Lastimosa, who what majority thought was the strongest delegate didn’t get any crown. With her killer curves, fierce facial features and arresting persona, many thinks she is the best bet to coninue our top-five streak in Miss Universe. But the night ended in disbelief.

Or did it really?

Notwithstanding all the rumored conspiracies hounding the pageant, what happened on the finals night was in fact a deja-vu of the previous years. I wanted Mary Jean to win but my brain told me it would really be Janine Mari Tugonon – though heavily criticized for her flabiness and unpreparedness. I felt a resurgence of anxiety with the almost similar situation between last years favorite Patricia Tumulak versus the pageant newbie Shamcey Supsup last year. The latter won the local tilt and reminded everyone of the fighting spirit and resilience of the Filipino when she placed 4th during Miss Universe 2011, proving all her critics wrong. I hope the tides turn out the same for Janine. BUT just like Shamcey and Venus Raj, It all depends how much she fights for it.

As with many I was also disappointed with the results and sad for my favorite MJ. I turned off the TV, went straight to the kitchen and drowned my sorrow with a glass of water and then slept everything off. When I woke up this morning, I realized that the result is just as consistent as the previous years. Natural beauties always win. I realized I have no right to critique against it when I know only so little of pageants. It is also unfair to Janine when she still has yet to prove herself. I'll give her that chance the same way everyone did to Shamcey and Venus. Because wether we like it or not, Janine will wear the PHILIPPINE sash in the future and along with her is EVERY Filipino’s hope of a third crown. The real competition is out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment